Hobbiton & Waitomo Caves Small-Group Day Tour from Auckland
Pickup includedPick-up and drop off is available from downtown Auckland hotels only. Note that your pick-up time may be earlier than the tour start time.
- Be fascinated as the magical world of Hobbiton comes to life on a 2-hour tour
- Take photos in front of Hobbit Holes and around The Shire
- Enjoy a complimentary specially-brewed beverage at The Green Dragon Inn and taste a kiwi-style lunch at The Homestead in Waitomo
- Be captivated by the thousands of magical glowworms as you glide silently by boat in the world-famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Marvel at awe-inspiring stalactites and stalagmites during the 45-minute tour of the iconic Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Be amazed by the spectacular scenery en route and listen to engaging commentary from your guide
Hobbiton Movie Set (guided tour, walk)
Waitomo Caves (guided tour, walk)
Arrive at The Shire's Rest in Matamata, the home of the Hobbiton Movie Set. Your guide will help you skip the crowds so you can explore the Movie Set on an official 2-hour tour. Be escorted through the 10-acre site and learn fascinating details of how the Hobbiton Movie Set was created. See Hobbit Holes, The Green Dragon Inn, and The Mill. Savor a complimentary specially-brewed beverage at The Green Dragon Inn.
Afterwards, travel to the mesmerizing Waitomo Glowworm Caves, where you'll enjoy a Kiwi-style lunch at The Homestead in Waitomo. On the way, share stories from Hobbiton and interact with your fellow travelers. Glide silently by boat in the world famous caves and be amazed by the thousands of magical glowworms. Your guide on the 45-minute tour will likely be a descendant of the Maori Chief who originally explored the Caves and can share with you the remarkable history of the area. Walk through the majestic Cathedral Cove, famous for its acoustics.
The return trip takes you through some of New Zealand's most beautiful countryside before following the majestic Waikato River northwards part of the way back to Auckland. You will pass Taupiri with its very sacred Maori burial ground. The day concludes with your return to your accommodation.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off (downtown Auckland hotels only)
- Local driver guide
- Small-group tour
- Entry and 2-hour guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set
- Kiwi-style lunch
- Entry and 45-minute guided tour of Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• The minimum age for the tour is 4 years
• A small amount of easy walking is involved, please wear comfortable footwear
• The tour operates in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
• This is a small group activity with a maximum of 11 participants and requires a minimum of 2 participants to operate